Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Brainstorming for Essay 3

Last night, we were to write lists on areas that we felt we had "authority" to speak about. I don't know if I did the list the way it was intended and I drew some blanks. What do I have authority to speak on? And how to I turn that into "eye" instead of veering towards "I" without overlapping the two?! The "I" essays I wrote were difficult in that I chose to speak on very personal stories. As hard as it was for me to share that, I'm finding that this "eye" essay might be even more challenging.

I think it's because I feel like I'm going to have trouble walking the "fine line" in my opinion. From what I understand we are to talk write about a subject as we see it, yet without our own thoughts directly coming through. Rather it seems like our thoughts might be a shadow in the writing. We allow the readers to maybe feel where we might want them to or the opposite, without saying it overtly.

In my mind, I have several things I might talk about. Fishing, addictions, obsessions...but how to make that into an "eye" essay? How do I show that without crossing into "I" essay territory? After thinking some more about it, I turned to my journal for some insight. In it, I had written possible topics. Two really stand out to me: "Rebecca" and "Stephanie." One is my best friend and the other is my sister. I definitely feel that I can write confidently about either one. Does this count as a valid area? I hope so...otherwise I'm grasping for straws

1 comment:

  1. "Rather it seems like our thoughts might be a shadow in the writing. We allow the readers to maybe feel where we might want them to or the opposite, without saying it overtly."

    I really like the idea that the author's thoughts become a "shadow" - yeah - do that!

    And do descriptions. Word pictures. With shadows.

    ReplyDelete