Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What is creative nonfiction?

At first, I thought Writing Creative Nonfiction was going to be a course about writing on the works of someone else; sort of similar to research papers. I have to be honest, I was not looking forward to that. I don't like to write on something someone else already did. Of course, I could add my own thoughts and ideas to what they have said - but i really don't enjoy that!

Now that I have come to this class, I understand much more what it is about. It's about writing your own stories, thoughts, ideas...and reflecting on them. Finding out why you find something so important to write about. Maybe seeing how it changed, where it came from, what it meant then and now...and how it shaped who you are today. It seems to be a constant learning process. You don't see things now the way you did as a child, adolescent, adult (young or "not as young"). So to write about it, whatever "it" is, is a reflective process. Sometimes, it brings out memories and feelings that are not pleasant to remember - even down-right horrifying. But we learn from these things: mistakes we have made or things that were done to us...the list seems endless. Life is an ever-changing journey (sorry if that sounds cliche, but it is the truth!).

I now look forward to this course. I know it will be challenging, especially trying to put our own stories and thoughts together to form "creative writing." But so far, in my opinion, that seems to maybe be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment