Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kidder, Lopate, Lott readings....

I really think that Kidder's essay focused more on finding "your voice." It seems like she is saying to explore avenues that work for you or showcase you, instead of doing what others do because you are sort of apprehensive about being different.  To me, her essay seemed to blend "I" and "Eye" which I found interesting.

I really enjoyed Lopate's essay.  It definitely echoed some of Kidder's points, especially finding your voice. Except to need to go beyond that and make your voice believable. You need to captivate the reader and not be afraid to look within yourself and reveal yourself. Don't be afraid to give yourself some sort of praise instead of downplaying and coming across as dull or boring.  It was more about developing yourself as a character, whether in the 1st or 3rd person point of view.

Lott's essay went into even more detail. I loved the prompts given by asking yourself questions. It really motivates the writer to reveal and be believable; to say the least, it is a great beginning of a personal essay.  We all want to hold on to the past in some way to leave our story behind. To do this, it is important to explore and discover to create knowledge. This self-inquistion to find "my truth" and to make it my own ultimately lead to an understanding.

I really think that their definitions gave me much more insight to CNF writing, rather than being similar or different to my "definition." My definition seemed so basic...and there is so much more to think about and explore! I love the idea about creating a character-and someone like me wont have to try very hard! I certainly am a character!

No comments:

Post a Comment